Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust, in partnership with Medway Council, is pleased to announce that the 2022 Medway Gaming and Creative Festival will take place at The Historic Dockyard Chatham on Saturday, 16 and Sunday, 17 July.
The Medway Gaming and Creative Festival is a celebration of video games, gaming culture and creativity, set within the unique historic environment of Medway’s former Royal Navy Dockyard and against a backdrop of real-life battleships, including HMS Cavalier of World of Warcraft fame.
The Festival has something to appeal to every gamer, from pro to novice, and will showcase talent, art, creativity and culture, uniting players for a weekend of entertainment. Visitors to the 2-day festival will be able to watch, play and learn about games; meet special guests; join competitions; experience new and retro gaming; as well as enjoying fun, interactive exhibits such as Robot Wars and Cosplay masquerade.
The Festival is being supported by organisations across Medway and programming for the weekend is underway. The final programme will follow in coming weeks and highlights already in place include:
- Huge interactive gaming areas: across the festival site including vast gaming halls, competitions, esports, retro gaming, modern, kids and virtual reality zones
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Hall: from local Universities, Colleges, Military and local businesses, showcasing how STEM will define our futures in fun and inspiring ways
- Military Show: from across the armed forces, with interactive content that highlights the incredible work of the forces and the links technology used in the modern Forces has with the Gaming industry
- Creating Games Exhibition: New games, technology and experiences being created by students from publishers, and students, for those wanting to learn more about the gaming and digital industry, as well as Medway’s four universities and MidKent College showcasing what they have to offer to our aspiring young people.
- Creative Arts Exhibition: Local artists creating new art pieces for the show and interactive stands including many local partners
Richard Morsley, Chief Executive, Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust said: “We are delighted to be working in partnership with Medway Council to host the Medway Gaming and Creative Festival at The Historic Dockyard Chatham this July. Visitors to the Festival will experience a fascinating juxtaposition of the futuristic world of gaming, set against 400-years of maritime history. Where else can you play video games next to a real life Second World War Destroyer or Cold War Submarine? The Festival will offer a fun weekend for anyone who has a passion for gaming and we’re pleased that visitors who might not naturally choose to visit us will also get a taster of a day out at The Historic Dockyard Chatham.”
Leader of Medway Council, Cllr Alan Jarrett, said: “Last year’s Gaming and Creative Festival was such a great success that we couldn’t wait to hold it again this year. We had some fantastic feedback following the first festival and this year promises to be even better with a jam-packed weekend full of wonderful events and activities for visitors of all ages to enjoy. There will, of course, be plenty for children and young people to discover and take part in as we continue to develop our commitment to making Medway even more child-friendly. I hope that this event become a family-favourite in our fantastic Medway events calendar.”
Get your tickets today
Tickets cost £16 for an adult and £10 for a child The ticket will give full access to all elements of the Medway Gaming and Creative Festival as well as selected galleries within The Historic Dockyard Chatham. To book your ticket, visit thedockyard.co.uk
Tickets are available in advance only. There will not be a ticket allocation available on the day(s) of the festival.